Thread: How To: C8A restoration in Holland
View Single Post
Old 13-09-21, 16:04
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8threcce View Post
Please see the pictures of the hatch lever that is located outside the hatch and inside the slide rail (a simple U profile)
You can see that the ball part has extensive wear and is flat on one side.
All levers on the hatch I have are having this flat spot which indicates to me that these ball didn't roll but just slide .....is this correct or should they indeed roll which seems obvious to me ...did any of you ever made new levers ?? I'm wondering with what I should replace this ball, seems to me that it's hard to make or to obtain as a ready made part......any suggestions welcome
Congratulations on getting the body back on!! It's a big step and all 'uphill' from there.

Going back to the sliding roof hatch in this earlier post, this is where I am now, remaking the tubes and levers. You had asked whether the bronze ends should roll noting the flat worn side. I think they should roll but were probably very quick to rust solid being where they were. Did you ever sort out for sure if they were meant to roll? I can't get mine to move no matter what and will have to drill them out and replace the rivet/axle if so.