Thread: How To: C8A restoration in Holland
View Single Post
Old 13-09-21, 18:44

Default rollers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Congratulations on getting the body back on!! It's a big step and all 'uphill' from there.

Going back to the sliding roof hatch in this earlier post, this is where I am now, remaking the tubes and levers. You had asked whether the bronze ends should roll noting the flat worn side. I think they should roll but were probably very quick to rust solid being where they were. Did you ever sort out for sure if they were meant to roll? I can't get mine to move no matter what and will have to drill them out and replace the rivet/axle if so.
Bruce

I have an early 1942 HUP that has the rollers with the flat spots. I think the original roller was bronze and quickly stops turning I had a good friend turn me up some brass rollers for replacements. The truck was finished about three years ago and is always in a dry well ventilated building. I just went and checked to see how free the rollers were and I think its a design flaw. There isn't much "leverage" on the roller to make it want to move and they will probably end up with flat spots any way

Gord