View Single Post
Old 27-08-05, 23:46
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
Bear victim was Harvey Robinson, 69, of RM of St. Clements.

Bear was killed by two shots from Mountie 9-mm Glock pistol.

We don't have the sharks and those suburb-loving snakes like in Oz, but we do have the occasional fatal cougar and grizzly attack on people. Fatal black bear attacks are very rare. Polar bears up north are very dangerous - they'll hunt people.

We fret more about mosquitoes here.
Hi Mark,

I feel very badly for this man and his family ... what an awful way to go .... I am also relieved to report that Mr. Robinson is not someone in our family and friends loop, so far that I know.

This story stirred up some bad memories for a woman in Beausejour I think ... brought back memories of having been severely mauled ... she'd commented about it being an awful way to go as well. She was pretty damaged physically and psychologocally and hasn't worked since ... but had been working in Corrections.

Concidering we lived in a bear crossing, and everyone back home still does, it says a lot about the bears not going out of their way to be aggressive, since attacks are extremely rarely heard of ... 3 fatal ones since the 1920's says much. Attacks at all, rare. However, there are always many, many, bear sitings that always worry people ... news of a siting travels like wildfire so people get "in the know" PDQ.

Thanks for the update with this man's name Mark.

Karmen