Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 28-10-20, 04:20
VMVC

Default Ford CMP Engine Transmission Data plates

Good Day,

Working on another project which I wanted to do for a long time. Covid lockdown hasn't been bad for everything.

I have done the artwork for Ford F15, F15-A and F60 Engine and Transmission data plates. See attached.

I used a very good F15-A plate that I scanned at 1200 DPI then digitally cleaned up and redid the graphics and lettering. I then used photos of the F15 and F60 model plates and modified the Auxiliary Transmission section and the quantities sections for those variants.

I looked into ways to reproduce them and the costs vary from astronomical to reasonable. They were probably done originally with a photo anodizing system similar to Metalphoto but that wasn't invented until 1950. That method is very good but cost prohibitive. Each tag would cost over $100 to produce in small runs.
I found a laser engraving business here in Australia that engraves black anodized aluminium plate with a laser at 600 dpi. That should ensure very good definition of the letters and graphics. In effect it is the opposite of the WW2 method but almost the same results. The black anodizing stays behind for the graphics and letters and the aluminium is exposed with the laser.

Presently I am awaiting to receive a prototype to analyse it before offering them for sale. If I go ahead with it the first run will be for the larger CMP's with 2 speed transfer cases as they seem to be most plentiful. Following that if enough interest shown I will get the F15 and F15-A plates made followed by the other instruction tags for the engine cover.

Stay tuned...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
F15-A.jpg   shift plate F15A art.jpg   Ff60 plate.jpg   shift plate-F60 art.jpg  

Jacques Reed