View Single Post
Old 29-10-20, 20:33
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Donckers View Post
Chris , can you explain then why there are 3 aerial bases mounted on Avalon , and other command tanks , plus a B set one ?
I know that an additional 38set was fitted in the turret , but where was the aerial mount on the co drivers side used for ?
Command tanks could have 2 x WS19 + 1 x WS38 and would be rather cramped inside. I think the usual arrangement was:

Standard WS19 in turret bustle, provides A1 set for inter-unit comms, B set for inter-troop comms, and tank intercom. Second WS19 provides A2 set for rear link comms. (Control Units No.12 and No.2 are used instead of No.1 and No.2, with a repurposed WS 38 Mk.2 for communication with supporting infantry. There was a later WS38 AFV that used Control Units 17 and 16 instead of 12 and 2, and I think there was also a No.33 that allowed 2 x WS19 + WS38AFV (or the later WS88 and WS31 AFV variants) for command or artillery OP tanks.

The 'Rear Link' set could be a WS19HP, but I don't think that tanks had enough internal space.

Louis Meulstee has an entire chapter on the WS19 control boxes and their use in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2.

The Royal Signals Pocket Book section "Wireless Diagrams" shows the standard communications setup for various units up to Corps or Division size, together with the number and type of sets used and how they were allocated.

Chris.