Thread: How To: Ford CMP "Blitz" miscellany
View Single Post
Old 03-11-20, 22:57
MLU Administrator

Default Completely Knocked Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
My understanding is that all Ford Australia assembled CMP's came to Australia as bare cab chassis with just the cowl, controls, and instrument panels. Doors, roof, and cabin parts were stamped here and added. I think even the floorboards were locally sourced. Perhaps to keep the shipping weight down?

I had two sets of brass switch plates from Australian assembled cab 13 trucks so I assume they came in with the cab chassis and not added later.
Jacques, the Ford and Chevrolet CMP truck were shipped CKD - see this link and the description quoted below.

It means that the trucks were not assembled before being crated and shipped, but that crates with parts were shipped over, to be assembled in Australia with locally sourced parts - this may well have included switch plates.

Mike Cecil listed the difference in CKD content from Ford and Chevrolet on the old forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
This is endorsed by the differences in CKD content (what was shipped from Canada) between Chevrolet and Ford, as listed by Mike Cecil in the thread "Antipodean Ford CMPs" on the Old MLU Forum:
  • Chevrolet: all chassis and mechanicals, wheels. Rest manufactured locally: complete cabs, complete bodies, spare tyre rack and tool box.
  • Ford: all chassis, mechanicals, cab floor/lower cab frame, upper (windscreen) cab frame, doors, windscreen frames, front shell, wheels. Rest manufactured locally in Aust: cab floor, engine cover, cab back, roof, guards, spare wheel carrier & tool box, body.
CKD:
Quote:
To be more precise, may I quote from an earlier posting:

Quote:
CKD packs were not made up from previously assembled vehicles broken down for shipment, but basically they comprised the necessary numbers of subassemblies and parts for a given quantity of chassis. So the receiving assembly plant could mix 'n match components to whatever configuration was needed (this would also explain data plates with only chassis and contract numbers). Availability of components most likely played a role in how batches of trucks were put together to fill orders.

(*) CKD: Completely Knocked Down. CKD should not be confused with trucks being encased, after first being 'knocked down' as much as considered practical. CKD was restricted to destinations where the manufacturers had proper assembly plants. CKD entailed the supply of parts which could not - or not economically - be produced locally, supplemented by parts which could. Besides packing methods for trucks that had to be reassembled on arrival, the CKD-pack method was also used but this entailed parts and components which had not been assembled before and then dismantled for shipment. They comprised the necessary numbers of subassemblies and parts for a given quantity of chassis which would be assembled in much the same way as it was done in the Canadian factory.
Usually large trucks like the Mack were not shipped CKD, only partly knocked down. Read the articles on this subject in Wheels & Tracks magazine.