View Single Post
Old 08-07-23, 03:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by m606paz View Post
Hi Jaques
Thanks for the explanation, it has been very useful and a learning class for me.

So....
It's getting hard to get the right solenoid to work with the positive ground. All the ones I get here are postwar with negative ground.
Now, on the late electrical circuit data plate, it indicates that vehicles destined for India were negative grounded. What changes do I have to make to make it work with Negative Ground? Is it only to change the polarity of the battery and the instruments and electrical elements do not need changes? Only the solenoid is changed according to...?

Regards
Hi Mariano

The generator polarity needs to be changed if you are changing the battery terminals over.

The field coils in the generator are wound around iron cores, the cores have a small amount of residual magnetism in them that controls the polarity of the coils. It is easy to change the residual magnetism by quickly connecting a battery through the coils, it only takes a fraction of a second , the iron cores re-establish themselves with the opposite polarity .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 08-07-23 at 03:43.