View Single Post
Old 20-04-04, 17:33
MLU Administrator

Default GMC CCKW-352 2½-ton 6x6 truck in Commonwealth service

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
If anyone can confirm whether the 6 x 6 units were -352 or -353 models I shall be grateful. Note the ex-US ones that might have been -353 models.
Below follow the references I found on GMC CCKW-352 2½-ton 6x6 truck in Commonwealth service:

"The GMC CCKW-352 2½-ton 6x6 truck was also produced for allied forces, incl. at least 400 for the United Kingdom" [Bart Vanderveen, Historic Military Vehicles Directory, p.353]. I do not know when these trucks were exactly ordered, but somehow I think this was early during the war when Britain was frantically trying to make good the Dunkirk losses? If my assumption is correct, these British CCKW-352s were fitted with closed cabs (transition from the closed to open cab took place from August, 1942 until late in April (possibly early May) 1943).

As the CCKW-352's intended main role was artillery towing, "the British pressed a number into service as Bofors 40-mm light AA gun tractors. With no special stowage arrangements the ammunition was simply stowed at the forward end of the body with a spare barrel down the middle, the crew using the standard hinged slatted seats" [John Church, Military Vehicles of World War 2, p.93].

There is also mention of two batteries of the 93rd Anti-Tank Regiment in Italy, "receiving U.S. 2½-ton trucks in place of the British tractors used for towing their guns" in August 1943. (note: in June '43 the 93rd converted to a new establishment of four batteries, one self-propelled and three towed, of which one had 17-pounders with Mark II carriages and the other two 6-pounders) [C.H. Bogart, 'The 93rd Anti-Tank Regiment'. AFV News, Vol.32, No.1, January-April 1997, p.8].

So it seems the CCKW-352 in British service was definitely used as a tractor for the the Bofors 40-mm AA gun, whilst 17- and/or 6-pdr AT guns seem to have been towed as well. As far as I can ascertain, no 25-pdr field guns were towed by Commonwealth CCKW-352's during WW2.