View Single Post
Old 20-02-05, 20:19
Vets Dottir

Default Re: rifleman, Smith Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
Karman:
I think it truly is a fine tribute to your uncle that you have gone to such lengths to understand his story during his time in the army. For me the real tragedy that the SS bastards did not treat him as a fellow soldier. I know there is no glory or queensbury rules in the time of war. The cowardly act of executing a fellow soldier is for me beyond comprehension. The wonderful response of the MLU members to your enquiries is exceptional. Regarding the AWOL your uncle acrude I can assure you I probably well surpassed him. His behaviour sounds a hell of a lot like mine. Young anti- authorty, indifferent to a few days pay and a couple of weeks of CB sure never detered me. I personally consider it a badge of honor. I added to this punishment by going on leave improperly dressed because I hated uniformity. The photo below bears this out. As the chap on the left was properly dressed for leave and I was as you can see, not. Again, I salute you, and the MLU chaps that responded to your quest regarding this great young soldier who paid the full price.
Thank you Norm, your words mean a lot to me, that you honestly appreciate my feelings and interest in wanting to know and share what I know with people around me ... especially my family ... remember that I would not have got so far in knowledge about my Uncle and others, without you and others helping me and cheering me on in this ... and showing me how and in what ways I should appreciate what my Uncle ... and others accomplished and sacrificed ... and why. I learn "deeper and wider" every day ... especially with Geoff by my side now too

You people won't let me give up at this point either But I don't want to anyways.

I love your honesty with your stories of experiences ... i love the thoughts and feelings you share Norm. Thank you for that. You "were there" ... that means the world to me and opens my ears when you talk ... as does Art and other Vets. You were THERE. You're the best teachers we have.

I think that Rifleman Edward Smith H/42084 would have totally enjoyed your company! and you his ... I like to think so

Karmen