View Single Post
Old 23-02-05, 20:54
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Re: Rifleman Smith, Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that correction/addition

Can you explain to me why he would have been SOS as MISSING 8 June 44... then TOS 9 June 44 then SOS again 7 June 45?

The terminology "Taken On/Off Strength" ... seems "odd terminology" to use for covering the span between "missing and confirmed killed"???

Just wondering.

Karmen
Hi Karmen;

Don't panic, I just deleted four posts, but will re-post them shortly, there was a letter from May 45, that was mixed in with his estate papers, that shouldn't have been there. Whoever had the file before me....hmmm....

To answer your question:

- on 8 Jun 1944- he was - Reported Missing - so he was Stricken off Strength of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles - in the field (France) - because he was missing - his name was more or less moved from the actual 'effective strength listing' of the battalion, to the list carrying the 'missing' members of the battalion (at that point in time).

- on 9 Jun 1944 - he was officially - Taken on Strength of the X-6 List (Missing - RWR) - this meant that he was no longer being carried on the 'effective strength' of the battalion ( he wasn't with the battalion at this point in time), but was being carried on the list of missing.

- on 7 Jun 1945 - he was Stricken off Strength of the X-6 List (Missing - RWR) - because it had been confirmed that he had been killed 8 June, 1944 - in the field (France) - so he was no longer considered missing.

The simple meaning of 'Taken on Strength' is that the battalion gained a person, and the reverse for 'Stricken off Strength' - the battalion lost a person. The same would apply to his being 'Taken on Strength' of the X-6 List - the list gained another name and the reverse for 'Stricken off Strength' - a name was taken off the list.

Does this answer your question?

I'll re-post the deleted posts shortly. needs a

Cheers