View Single Post
Old 19-05-08, 00:03

Default Shayne.... having you tried yoga....???

First you have to relax.... take a deep breath.... a few beers might help....

First the bad news ..... the king pin bearing..originals were... New Departure 928 and has every one as already told you THEY ARE NOT MADE ANY MORE AND NO EQUIVALENT KNOWN TO EXIST.

Some NOS stock was found a few years ago in Texas and in the UK.... at $130 a pop and you need 4.......

The good news...... on your HUP only and ONLY the center of the front axle portion is different than a regular CMP..... by this I mean that on each side of your front axle you have a bolted flange that holds the egg cups..... everything front the flange outward is standard CMP.... all parts are interchangeable....... you inner axle shafts will be shorter than a regular CMP but has the Australian have found... a CMP axle can be shortened and new splines cut to match you inner gear cluster.

All the bearings and races are available.... you need to find a good clerk at a bearing service centre...... bring your old bearings and races.... they have software programs to search for bearings by size...... old part numbers are almost of no value.

As previously suggested you need to find either a HUP rolling frame for exact parts or start collecting used CMP front axle for parts...... I went through about 4 CMP axles to finally get the elusive ( to me any ways) R-Zeppa axle joints...... now I can smell them out of a junk yard at 40 paces.

Depending on the year of your HUP you may have problems finding an oil seal for the front axle.....that's the inner oil seal..... on the 1945 HUP the front axle from Rob's HUP was totally different than a CMP..... we found a source for the inner ID but could not match the outer dimensions..... solution is we had aluminium flange fabricated that held the size oil seals we could find.... cost.... about $40 each (x2)..... if you are stuck with that seal when you get there post a picture and will see what we can do to help you.

Now go out there and start scrounging CMP front axles.....and save the circular shims that sits on top and bottom of the king pin bearings.....

Bob
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 19-05-08 at 00:09.