View Single Post
Old 29-09-15, 13:43

Lightbulb Golly gosh, no one told me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
One interesting anecdote. Coming back from Campbellford Legion Anniversary one Sunday morning, 8:30 a.m., maniac cop stopped the Bren Carrier. We were fined for not having Slow Moving Vehicle triangle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
But, as pointed out previously in this thread, our Bren Carrier was ticketed and fined for not having Slow Moving Vehicle triangle, though we were not told it was required, or is it, when Historic Vehicle plates were issued us.
Mike, just for clarification..... in Ontario the requirement for the Slow Moving Triangle is not a requirement just for Historic Vehicle Plates.

This is in the Ontario Driver's Handbook

Ref: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion3.1.6.shtml

... "The “slow-moving vehicle” sign is an orange triangle with a red border. It alerts other drivers that the vehicle ahead will be travelling at 40 km/h or less. When on a road, farm tractors, farm implements/machinery, and vehicles not capable of sustaining speeds over 40 km/h must display the slow moving vehicle sign. Watch for these slow moving vehicles and reduce your speed as necessary. .....

In jurisprudence, ignorance of the law is not a defence. In the case of everyone with a valid drivers license, it is assumed that they are aware of the rules and regulations, and take all appropriate safety steps.

I would consider it prudent to put a "Slow Moving Vehicle" sign on the rear of a Bren carrier on any public highway. When you arrive at your destination, for display, you could then remove the sign.

What most folks do not understand, is when there is an official "parade", approved by the local competent authorities, the Highway Traffic Act is temporarily suspended on the designated section of the parade route, once the barricades are put up. That is why during a parade, a Shriner can drive a little motorcycle that looks like an airplane....

There are still other complications, such as additional municipal regulations. For example in Ottawa, anything with tracks (Bren Carrier) requires an additional permit ($$$) to drive on city streets. This is aimed at the owners of cranes and construction equipment who can cause damage to roads.

There are lots of fine (no pun intended) details when organizing such events.

With all due respect, I think the peace officer was well within his duties to issue a ticket. It was an unsafe condition.

I would hope that you always carry a break down kit with reflectors and flares.
It would not be unusual for a Bren Carrier to stop dead in it's track, and there is no way you are going to be able to push it off to the side. That much steel sitting on a highway would present a significant risk to any vehicle who slams into it.

I have a nice DND issue and German issue breakdown kit that I carry for just that purpose. Similar commercial units are available at Canadian Tire, Princess Auto, and most truck stop shops.

Stuart