View Single Post
Old 30-09-15, 02:31

Default SMV sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Yeo View Post
Stuart
My point about agricultural use of a SMV sign was that the farm liability policy covers our machinery with insurance. Putting a slow moving vehicle sign on any vehicle may not automatically provide insurance coverage in an accident. Fast or slow is a vehicle on a public road not supposed to be insured?

Gordon
Of course, a fast or slow vehicle on a public road is supposed to be insured. If the Bren Carrier in question was driving on a public highway without insurance and registration, then he deserves far worse than a ticket for the lack of a SMV sign. A Bren carrier can be on a public road without registration and insurance, if and only if, the public road has been declared a "Parade" by the local competent authority. This is also dependent on the local municipality, and I gave the example of Ottawa, that requires another fee for tracked vehicles.

Just a reminder, this thread started out about a Licensed and registered vehicle and the difference between a standard license plate and a "Historic Vehicle" plate. Both of those plates require insurance, registration and a vehicle has passed a safety at some point of time.

Just saying, that if you have a licensed and registered vehicle of any sort, that can not keep up with 40 km/hr, it should have the SMV.

The OP can comment if his Bren Carrier was actually licensed and insured at the time, and what plates (if any) it had. If he was not licensed and insured at the time (I have no idea if this is even possible for a Bren carrier in Ontario), then he deserved some sort of ticket and fine.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 30-09-15 at 03:32. Reason: typo, as always