View Single Post
Old 30-09-15, 19:04

Default Ontario licencing

Hello

Its nice to see a discussion about plates etc.

There are lots of good points brought up.

If you want to read the actual law it can be found on e-laws Ontario under the Highway Traffic Act.

I have "Year or Manufacture" (YOM) plates on my WW2 Jeep. (These are original Ontario issue licence plates issued the year of the manufactured date of the vehicle) The vehicle must meet the classification of an Historic vehicle but the plates permit me to do anything as they are a regular plates. You can still get Historical vehicle insurance, which will create conditions to taking the vehicle out.

Historic plates create limitations on the use of the vehicle (not for everyday use) but you have a reduced registration fee.

The OMVA and other auto clubs were part of the Ontario Specialty Car Association when a joint submission was made to obtain Historic plates and later Year of Manufacture plates.

Year of manufacture plates are still not permitted on trailers... I know as I tried.

The clubs are encouraged to do their own policing and to make sure their members follow the rules, which we pushed for. I.e not putting historic or YOM plates on a modified vehicle (eg. hot rod) (which is not a historic vehicle). Not putting YOM plates as decoration on a vehicle which already has a valid licence plate attached etc.

Violating the historic or YOM plates usage actually does discredit to the clubs that fought to get them for members. (They also have consequences if stopped by the police, charges of misuse of plate, plates seized, vehicle towed etc.)

CFR, DND, WD numbers will never be permitted as they were never as an Ontario vehicle registration. When required DND used Ontario issued licence plates prior to the DND plates.
You need to mail in the original plates for verification prior to MTO approving it.

If you want to use a WD/ DND number you can buy the vanity plates with that number ... but the issued plates must be attached to the vehicle. Painting it on the vehicle will not be accepted.

Those with vehicles that are not plated such as carriers drive on the road at their own peril. They are not deemed as construction equipment, implement of husbandry etc., so
they also do not meet the criteria for plates, or vehicle insurance.

If caught on the road outside of an official parade, the driver/owner could be charged with no plates ($110.00) , no insurance (minimum of $3,000.00 fine) and incur a tow fee amongst other things.

If involved in a collision then civil action can also take place by the other party or those injured. You won't have a leg to stand on.

just my feedback and reinforcement of comments made by a few others in earlier posts.

thanks

Eric