View Single Post
Old 06-04-17, 06:21

A portion of the first series of MK-I* carriers produced at Ford Canada were fitted with a selection of British made parts. As Rob L. indicates, it is not uncommon to see these early carriers in Canada. The carrier Nech has, TL13F, was one such carrier, sold from an MLU member and shipped to Europe. Another three digit serial number MK-I* shipped from Canada in 2016.

As for the dash instruments and most gauges, the changes appeared at serial #2083 for the oil gauge, and serial #2143 for the Canadian switchboard assembly. However, the British CAV - Bosch 47-51 switchboard continued in use as spares until stocks were depleted.

If you look at the carrier serial number list in Nigel W., 'Universal Carriers, Volume 1', there is a list showing hundreds of the three digit serial number carriers issued to Canadian units. Nigel also details the supply of British parts by type, manufacturer and quantity to support production until Ford Canada was able to get local supply up to speed. I suppose an initial order of 600 carriers being increased to eventually cover some 28,988 units plus spares allowed for full local production support.
Attached Thumbnails
British supplied change over at 2083.jpg   1000.jpg