View Single Post
Old 27-11-16, 12:53
Tony Baker

That all adds up then, Rob.

My intention is to retain that rivet system, in appearance anyway. Because I've pulled the hinges over those rivets, to get them free, they won't serve their function, but I can still keep them looking right. I will shave a tiny bit more from the holes in hinges where those holes were attached with the rivet. Then they should go back together without force, and not look too far 'wrong'.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_162138-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	86776
Yesterday I chose a new piece of timber to make a pair of stiffening braces for top of the lid. I believe it's some type of oak, possibly Tasmanian. Thickness is correct, but width will require cutting down. The orignal timber braces were not healthy. One far worse than the other, but if making one, might as well make both. The original/s will be filed away for referring to in any future need.

The box and lid are now stripped back to either bare timber or initial thin coat of color. They have to dry well, before I do further work on them. Next stage is filling imperfections. I intend to try and save some original markings stamped on lower edge of both short sides. Should be easier to read once I sand there.....very lightly!

I've ordered the three types of countersunk, slot head, wood screws that were originally used. The total cost, including shipping is $77.00AUD, but that is partly due to the 'job lots' of each being in excess of quantity I need for this particular project, and partly because they are coming from UK. They'll come in handy elsewhere, so I don't worry about $$$/£££ there.

Name:	_20161127_214353.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	86778
Tonight, for want of something else to do, I made the template to cut the replacement canvas lid cover. I have heaps of the same canvas used on the tool box, so they will match. I will use same font for creating stencilling also. Didn't find any stencilling on this box. That's probably because it had 1,000 layers of badly applied paint, of several colors.

Name:	20161127_211917-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	86777

I'll post some photos of the box in it's bare state tomorrow evening.