View Single Post
Old 05-02-11, 15:08

Default Not bad if you hunch down behind the windscreen

Hi Bob

Yes it was a bit cold, but I had dressed in layers, looked a little like the Michilem Man. Maybe a bit of Canadian blood my mother came from a farm north of Saint Albans, Vt.

Haven't really decided how I'm going to work on the body yet. Considering a couple of options all depending on progress I make on the chassis, engine and the weather. If spring comes before the chassis is done I may take the body down to a local stone cutter/antique car restorer and have the body sand blasted.

I like this guy for this type of work as he has about 12 antique cars and knows how to clean paint off without damaging the metal. His primary business is as a monument engraver which is mostly done by sand blasting now.

What is kind of interesting about this guy is he learned his trade from his father who was a German stone mason, who emigrated to the US after being interned here in the States as a prisoner of war. Having been captured in North Africa, as a member of the Africa Corp. I met his father some 30 years ago when he came over to look at the HUP at one of the first shows I took it to. His father said he had seen a few of them before, as we talked it came out where.

If winter last two long I may turn the body on its side on the cargo body using the the trucks hydraulic arm and the chain hoist in the shop bay. If I can figure out the mid-line CG this might be the most practical.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com