View Single Post
Old 26-09-15, 01:40

Default Dear Prudence.....

Edwin,
I have found over the years that jurisprudence can be very confusing to understand properly, as some things are not very well defined. This is often done on purpose. Also, some jurisprudence "remains silent" on the details, which leaves the final interpretation to a judge, if and when the case goes to court. It also means, that until it is tested in court, the fine points will not be obvious.

To make things even more confusing, you can be dealing with several layers of government, federal, provincial, and municipal who all tend to interfere and try to further define things, which they may or may not have authority to limit or permit.

The other confusing thing, is any item in law, can not be interpreted in isolation or in a few lines. It is usually in combination with other laws, regulations and amendments to an act.

In looking at the issue of "Historic Vehicle" plates in Ontario, I just would like to understand when is this a good thing (from the perspective of the collector) and when is it more trouble (again from the perspective of the collector).

In my case where I like to drive my vehicle a lot over the summer months, it appears there is not really any advantage to the Historic Vehicle plates. It just seems to be more restrictive.

For those who have gone the route of the "Historic Vehicle" plate in Ontario, what did you consider the advantage to be, in your particular case?

When I read...

(b) is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club ........... and when organizations such as the Ontario Military Vehicle Association (OMVA) do not seem to be interested in sponsoring parades or tours, who do we have left in Ontario that can be a properly constituted automobile club?

I think at one time the local chapters of OMVA could help sponsor events, but it seems those days are gone...... This seems a valuable service that could be done for those who have their vehicles registered as "Historic Vehicles"......

Your thoughts?

Stuart