View Single Post
Old 26-09-15, 02:32
GM Fox I

A couple of thoughts. The insurance and registration fees are a big factor, so unless you're made of money, 'historic' is the way to go. Every CMP I've licensed was historic and I never had a problem doing a lot of 'road testing'. I don't see anywhere where they require a log for such use.

I find it odd that year of manufacture plates (I'm talking Ontario here) are not acceptable. Of all the vehicles that would benefit from such a program you'd think historic ones would be top of the list. I hope I'm reading that requirement right. In my perfect world a CZ XXX number painted on the door of a 15cwt would be a legal 'license plate' under the year of manufacture plate regulation.

The other wrinkle is that, despite being historic in every other respect, the 'commercial' regulations based on weight still apply. So even if your 60cwt is historic by one regulation, the regulation that says any vehicle over a certain weight is 'commercial' prevails and commercial requirements must still be met. So in theory, a 'historic' seventy year old 60cwt is also by definition a commercial vehicle liable for all the safety, lighting, inspection and use restrictions required of a modern vehicle in the same weight range. Don't even think about putting historic plates on an antique truck with air brakes. I know all of his because of my attempt to license my somewhat overweight Fox. I could have omitted any mention of weight (the clerk processing the application wouldn't be the wiser; nothing but a historic 2 door 'hard' top...right?) but should I crush some Honda Civic that would be no defense.

Bottom line, weeze wun ober-regulamated bunch 'a schmucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of Historic Vehicle Plates for vehicles such as the Canadian Bombardier Iltis in the Province of Ontario (Canada).

(OREG 628)
historic vehicle” means, a motor vehicle that,
(a) is at least 30 years old,
(b) is operated on a highway in parades, for purposes of exhibition, tours or similar functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club or for purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale,
(c) is substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer’s product, and
(d) does not have attached to it year-of-manufacture plates

What is the advantage of a "Historic Vehicle" plate on a vehicle, rather than a regular motor vehicle registration?

It seems to me, in the definition of a Historic Vehicle puts restrictions on the use of the vehicle. I know in Ottawa, there are very few events that are functions organized by a properly constituted automobile club.

I am unaware of any official recent events in Ottawa that have been organized by a properly constituted automobile club, such as OMVA.

I know that folks can say that they are out-and-about for "purposes of repair, testing or demonstration for sale" , but depending on how much you drive in a given year, that could be a stretch.......

What is the risk of having a Historic Vehicle plate? I know that insurance rates are usually reduced when a vehicle has Historic Vehicle plates.

Your thoughts?

Stuart