Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 25-03-17, 13:49
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
I got these cables and ends off ebay. The 6 Niphan connectors are all the same size so I guess they're the right ones. I have a couple more coming from the same UK seller. I got them for a reasonable price but now somebody else thinks they're valuable and is bidding over $100 for a cable with two Niphans on it. If anybody needs some I'll send you his email address. He said he has around 75 Niphan connectors but no females to match the ones I bought.
Most of the 2-pin Niphan connectors will be for batteries (there were other uses such as aerial feeders for the WS12 with different pin arrangements, but they are very rare, also some from the next size up used for AC power, I think).

The Niphan to ring terminal cables are general purpose, I think the very long one has a 'line' stores code and was used with the F&F switchboard. Niphan to 2-pin bakelite socket was for WS22, R109, PCR receivers, etc., and the twin plugs to Pye 6-pin socket is (of course) for the WS19.

Niphan sockets are going to be difficult to obtain: they were used on batteries and when the battery was scrapped the socket had to be removed in order to get the cells out, and if not reused would be melted down for the brass content. You need to look for old batteries with 2-pin sockets - they will all use the same connector. (6V 16, 40 or 85 Ah, 12V 22 and 75 Ah units.)

Chris.