Thread: Corowa 2008
View Single Post
Old 28-03-07, 10:46

Smile Corowa....now and forever

Alex....Thanks for the laugh.

Unfortunately us Aussies aren't gentle either, and are known to participate in the odd bit of the biff'o, but we always make up and shake hands over a beer or two in the end....well....nearly always.

Phoenix....Welcome to the family ( from REMLR member 038 ). Corowa is a fantastic thing. I've been coming/going for ten years now...and I'm still only a new comer!

People often ask "what happens or what do you do at Corowa?" and I tell them not a lot.

For me anyway, Corowa is a chance to relax for the year, Catch up with friends that I don't get to see very often due to the tyranny of distance in our beloved country, Talk about my hobby and these vehicle which I love, buy the odd part or bit that I haven't been able to find in someone else's shed back home, See some fantastic restorations and vehicles that I am incredibly envious of, and a lot of similar things.

I believe "Corowa Swim-in" is AT the Ball Caravan Park. There are some who participate and don't stay at the caravan park as it is too hard to find comfortable accomodations, and that's fine but the Swim-in is at the caravan park. For a while it looked like we were at capacity. Down where we camp ( in the South Australian area heehe ) last year we were completely cramped, not a spare foot of grass anywhere. Over the ten year it has grown steadily each year, but this year, there wasn't as many people in the park. They seemed to still be there on Saturday for the parade and swap meet.

As far as the movies and other stuff, Jan put it all on the official agenda that you recieved when you signed your vehicle in for the event. I don't usually attend alot of the organised stuff, we're usually to busy 4WDing on the other side of the river, or this year we floated the 4 or 5 kilometres from the new bridge to the old bridge in what was left of the river. You see there's plenty to do at Corowa...you've just got to find it. Trevor Brown is a guy from Adelaide, who just started bringing and showing the "movies" during the evening. It's what he wants to do and he gets enjoyment in doing it. It's not really an official Corowa thing....but we all know that it's there. and there are a few things like that.

Tony...I'm sure that you have been to more Corowa's then I have. There has always been "Horse trading" going on before the swap meet. I don't think that, that will ever change. I think that it helps to make Corowa the event that it is. I was very interested to hear from Geoff W-B how our event differs from others overseas, and I am glad that our event is the way that it is.

BUT the swap meet is getting worse. There are numbers of South Australians that I am aware of and there must be others from other states, whom come over just to raid the swap meet. They're not attending the rest of the event. Don't stay at the Caravan Park or participate with their vehicles, and I think that just isn't right. If they aren't going to attend and participate...why should they get the pick of the swap meet ...cause that's what's happening.

KVE is only a new thing, and I support it whole heartedly. It was time that some of the organizing for the event was spread a bit further than the two or three that it fell upon year after year. They did a fantastic job..but the event was growing and growing and the stress was becoming obvious on some people.

Now it will be somewhat more official, which is a good thing as the event continues to grow. I wouldn't have any problems paying a fee to attend, to go towards insurances and other costs. Corowa has been pretty informal and laid back for this long, but it is getting so big that things may have to change. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Perhaps if everyone whom attends is registered or ticketed this too may stop those who just appear at the swap meet to poach the good gear.

Corowa has become a truely national event...even some would say an international event with the participation of such people as Geoff W-B, Richard Farrant, Henri De Walli and others, and it is for this reason we are fooling ourselves if we believe that it won't continue to grow at the same rate. There are people from my state that weren't even interested in military vehicles before that I have seen at Corowa this year. They will tell others, who will tell others....etc en eternium.

KVE is Corowa Swim-in now. The committee will make all decisions on behalf of and for all those whom attend our event. This is what was decided at the meeting in 2005. Representatives of all clubs in Australia voted unanimously to allow the creation of a committee to oversee the organisation of the event. Therefore if the committee decides to make changes to the way the swap meet happens or where it is held...so be it. But as President, John; realize that if and when, we the people aren't happy about something....your's is the door we'll be knocking on first.

Perhaps it is time that KVE did start to take a proactive interest in the swap meet and start to register and charge traders to attend. This might sort the men from the boys as far as trading.

Howard...all I can say mate is you and Jo and family will have to pack the camping gear and come along earlier like Tuesday before the swap meet. Believe me, you won't regret it.

GWB...Sir, thank you for attending this year. I know that you've had a great time here, and if you can make the arrangements your end, you know that you have a family in all of us to migrate over here to the Oz. Any which way I hope you are able to make it next year too...with Karmen in tow, (and maybe Hanno?)

Thanks to all whom were involved again this year, it was as always, a brilliant week.

Sorry about the long-winded response.

Pedr

NB Glad you're OK Fiona.
Attached Thumbnails
mlu paula in corowa.jpg