View Single Post
Old 10-02-17, 21:04
Tony Baker

Thanks Rob.

Pretty much every size steel tube that's galvanised, is also available in black steel.
I have welded galvanised in past, after grinding the coating off, but don't like the stuff. My welder friend says the galvanising fumes are dangerous, so if you missed some with the grinder, or didn't take enough clearance, it could be a health risk. I don't need any extra health problems. When i was a spraypainter (which in hindsight was the most satisfying job I ever had), and bearing in mind I was still young & stupid, I didn't always wear the breathing protection I should have. Some days I'd finish work with whatever color I had been spraying, all around my nostrils. Real clever stuff!

Without going to any trouble, does anyone have some good closeup photos of the ends of a real hand spike? If you've got a photo already, I would love to see that. I'll try to get my version as close to original as I can, but because the socket that takes the spike is tapered, I'm gonna need to give thought to HOW I can reproduce that appearance. First thought that came to mind, was to put a number of cuts down one end of a short steel tube, and then force them together before welding them in place, creating the taper. Might need to call on my welder buddy again, to heat the thing before I bend the cut portions together.

If my calculations are correct, a hand spike is 101cm long by 54mm OD. I seriously doubt there is a absolutely correct sixe tube, but will look into it anyway. May need to use 50mm tube instead.

Last edited by Private_collector; 10-02-17 at 21:17.