Thread: Gas Cans
View Single Post
Old 27-06-13, 06:42
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank v R View Post
I have one of the plastic 5 gallon cans with the small spout in my collection, can is light green not OD the spout is the same size as all the little red ones , Rob how about motor oil in the master cylinder or naphtha gas in the fuel tank ? as one of our regt. v-techs I was not happy,
regards Frank
The cause of motor oil in the master cylinders was more often the 1 gallon cans that the stuff came in. Of course, you cannot get a 1 gallon can into a position to pour the brake fluid into the hidden away master cylinders of the m-series vehicles, so the operators would go get a pour can. Any traces of oil would cause the brake cups in the master cylinder, combination valve (5/4 ton) or the wheel cylinders/calipers to swell up. The more trace of oil the quicker the disaster.

Why a 1 gallon can of brake fluid? No idea....perhaps to prevent pilfering of the smaller size.

As to the naptha, I was guilty of that once myself. End of ex, and I needed to get enough fuel into the 5/4 ton to make it back to base for a fill up. I grabbed a gas can (or so I thought) out of the POL pit, poured it in, and headed off to base. When I got to the pumps, I shut off the truck, went in for the clipboard, and when I got back to the truck, it was still dieseling. Oh well, nothing another 120 liters of fuel couldn't fix.