Thread: 3 Ton Derrick
View Single Post
Old 20-09-06, 12:39

Default Howard's winch

I can't tell you for sure that your winch didn't come from a derrick truck but if I am interpreting your photos correctly it seems your winch is mounted aft of the rear axle, under the frame. This location doesn't match any CMP I'm aware of and seems unlikely due to the length of driveshaft (particularly for the chain driven winches normally mounted up in the body), possible interference with the axle in cross country operation and the exposure to obstacles when driven cross country. All underbody/chassis mounted winches that I have seen were the type used on FAT etc. mounted just aft of the transfer case, high within the frame rails (as much as possible) to avoid muck and damage, driven by a shaft that was little more than a flex coupling in length and offset enough to clear the driveshaft to the rear axle.

The "first type" derrick truck is listed as using an under floor winch. I don't know what type winch this was but suspect that it might have been the standard winch as used on FAT and that the "second type" used a standard commercial winch of unknown origin. Perhaps someone with a manual for the derrick truck can identify it for us.

Some of the photos of derrick trucks show a cable running down to a point that looks like it matches what I think is the location of your winch but I think this is only the free end of the cable being secured to keep it handy and avoid wire rope snarls.

Some of the above is based on rather flimsy evidence, little better than a guess, so I would be glad if others can educate me.