Thread: Chevrolet C8
View Single Post
Old 14-11-17, 21:45

Default Welcome to the fun

Hi Richard

Hope you enjoy your new CMP and wish you many happy years of driving it.
Now as to your list of faults-

"After a brief assessment yesterday it needs the following done;
Brakes, no hydraulic pressure - possibly leaking rear cylinder. Hand brake is good.
Slight leak on water pump, I think that’s where it’s coming from!
Carb refurbish- feels like main jet is blocked. Ticks over fine but won’t pull when throttle is opened."

Couple of thought based on a fair number years with these beasties

Brake system, it it has original or NOS brake cylinders that have not been sleeved you might consider having them sleeved once you find the source of the problem. With owning 3 CMPs I have found that sleeving is a once and done approach to this problem. Unsleeved cylinders are good for 4-5 years before the water in the brake fluid will pit them. Some of my trucks are now coming up on 30 years without the cylinders having to be touched other than to replace the rubber parts every 10 years.

Water pump leak- try real hard to id the location of the leak is it coming from the drain hole in the housing? Or is it leaking around the hose connection point. Pat 12s it is hard to get your head in there to actually see but try with a mirror. Also it may be just a gasket.

Carb - Before you do anything to the carb how old is the gas. The modern gas in the US goes off in 3-4 months and runs like garbage. Have learned to hold off on trying to find power related problems until I dump new gas in the tank and run the engine long enough that I know it is getting fresh fuel to the Carb. Also check your air filter, Pattern 12s have a peculiar problem the placement of the airfilter can let water drip into the oil bath raising the level of the fluid in the filter so that engine has trouble breathing.

Even with rubber gasket at the top edge of the hood mine decided to add an inch of water to the filter. Truck would start but not pull well, like driving with the choke pulled out. This was from one rain storm, over night at a Club Event.

Another thought on the carb would be to put a vacuum gauge on and see what sort of vacuum it is pulling.

Again wish you many happy years of driving.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com