Thread: Chevrolet C8
View Single Post
Old 15-11-17, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
hi Richard

The Rochester would be a better carby . The 216 version has the smaller throttle bore. The 235 version seems to be more common over here , it has the larger throttle bore.

There is a weakness in the C8 drive train, the uni joint just behind the gearbox tends to fail. The uni joint is inside the round sphere , it drives the shaft inside the torque tube.

Do a search on this forum for C8 .

The front wings on your C8 look a little odd , sort of like somebody has made them in the back yard ! if you can find them, the wider wings from the larger 15cwt or 30cwt or 3 tonners will fit the C8 . You must narrow/cut the wider wings down , make them narrower, that's what the factory did ! The 13" wheels do appear to be "out of scale" under those huge long wings !
Hi Mike,

The Rochester carb is off a 216 of slightly later vintage. I'm going to refurb it and use it until I get the carter done. I need to be able to keep the C8 mobile while I do the work as I am limited on space and have to move it around.

I have heard about the universal joint - is there anything I can do to help its longevity?

The wings are wider than the rest of the truck! I thought they looked a little odd compared to the wheels too. I'm not familiar with CMP vehicles at all, so I wouldnt have known if they were right or wrong. The proportions dont look quite 'right'. They've certainly been on there a long while looking at the rust and the fixings on the brackets holding the wings. That will be something to look out for in the future. One good thing is that if the front end goes through a gap, the rest will too!

Thanks
Richard