View Single Post
Old 14-02-12, 23:57
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Robertson View Post
That is a nice one! you are going to hunt a long time to find another one as complete as that one. I have restored 2 and could never find as much as this fellow has. If he has the rest of the drive line as stated even after the engine rebuild the price is not outrages. This is a fun vehicle and easy to move around and is a real part of canadian history

Stew, it is also a major part of Australia Armoured history. In 1943 Australia imported, under lend/lease, 170 Ford Scout Car Lynx 1 and Lynx 11's. At the end of the war, the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF) in Japan was to use Staghounds as their policing vehicles but found that the roads in Japan were too small and unstable and unable to carry the weight of the Staghounds. A decision was made to use Ford Lynx Scout Cars and 109 were sent to Japan from the 170 which came to Australia. That left 61 in Australia at that time and I presume that most of the 109 eventually were returned to OZ, although I haven't been able to locate any info on which vehicles went and were returned.

I have copies of the ARN's (Australian Registration Numbers) from the Australian War Memorial and most were disposed of in the period from 1956 to 1958.

There are only about 3 actually drivable in Australia, although there are 6 that I know of being restored. Mine included. My Lynx was purchased from a farmer who bought it from a disposal sale in 1956 and promptly broke the rear diff. (Their Achillies Heal). He then cut it up and used the motor in a very early 3 point hydroplane (a tail dragger). Fortunately for me, the unusual gearbox was still there as was the ID plate with the hull and engine number stamped thereon. Further questioning revealed the fact that the 3 pointer was still in existance with the Lynx engine still in it and it had only seen 2 race meeting since 1957. I was able to obtain this historic race boat and the Lynx engine with it's matching engine number, runs very well.

My father was a Commando during WW11 and we have a photo of him sitting on the left front guard of a Lynx. He told me that they were called GolfBalls or Doodle Bugs by the troops. It is this photo and the stories Dad told of Ford Lynxs which sparked my interest and eventual recovery of a very restorable Lynx. (In fact 3 Lynxes have been recovered by me and supplied enough parts for 2 good ones and spares for a 3rd.)

There is a wonderfully restored one which went to England about 5 years ago, but will be a sad day if another Australian Ford Lynx goes overseas.

I wonder if there are any Export Restrictions from Australian Movable Heritage on this Lynx like there is on Steam and Traction Engines.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.