View Single Post
Old 21-09-13, 08:10
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi David

Yes I have stumbled on two RCA 110v. power supplies, look good, claimed to be working ..but never tried them yet.

Cheers
Don't plug the power supplies in just yet. Try to find a local ham operator or someone with a tube tester. That power supply uses 4 rectifier tubes that are prone to shorting. They should be tested first as when they short the nearest thing to a fuse is a transformer winding. If a winding burns out you've changed a rare item into a common boat anchor.

I use mine as a daily driver but bring it up with a variac avoiding inrush current.

As to using the CPP2 it should work for receiving but when switching to transmit the dynamotor can draw up to 50 amps while it spins up. I don't know if it would supply enough current. Maybe David has tried it.

Like David I've owned a lot of 19 sets over the years and have found that for most part the radio itself worked quite well as is, even after 70 years. The power supply has the big capacitor that needs some tlc.

When it gets time to play you may find some local help through the original 19 set site. http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/
A lot of the members are in southern Ontario so help could be close by.

Have fun and remember the one hand rule.