View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 11:57
former Resident Historian

Default Reply

Demand S/M 2003 was placed around 25th June 1940..I seem to recall and was initially for 1,500 30-cwt. Fords for Bombay and 1,500 Chevrolets for England. By 28th August this had changed and 2003 became 1,200 30-cwt. Fords for Egypt and 300 for Mombasa, with 1,500 Chevrolets for England. The English-assembled Chevrolet C30 lorries were all 1941 Models. Census Numbers were L 4448758 to 4450257. They were assembled probably by Lep Transport Ltd in Chiswick, London W.4 although it si possible that some were assembled by General Motors Ltd at Cuerden Mill, Bamber Bridge, near Preston, Lancashire. There is a photo of in the Imperial War Museum, photo KID 2505.

Because of the Mid-East policies under Churchill, the AIF and NZEF in England were shipped out to Egypt in December 1940 I think, and vehicles followed, including ex-Canadian orders assembled here. Vehicles were also shipped out from English-assembled stocks which joined those shipped direct to Alexandria and assembled there. Loans of vehicles were then made to the AIF, NZEF and Indian Army..and I also query SADF? Those vehicles issued to the AIF and NZEF were then sold subsequently to the respective Dominion Governments and carried their Census Numbers.

Subsequently the survivors were shipped back to Australia and New Zealand. Unless Shane Lovell has anything to add, from the books that he photos, I cannot say much more for the moment.