View Single Post
Old 03-01-13, 21:53

Default Pressure washer approach

Hi Dave

The pressure washer one is a new one on me. I've use the compressed air approach only reasonably useful, have also used the grease gun and hydraulic pump approach they work but as you point out clean up problem. But in this case none of those approaches would have worked because none of the valves were sealing so no pressure build up.

Finished up getting the engine turning to day based on the firing order and observation figure out which 3 cylinders had to be pushed down in what order to get a full revolution. After two full revolutions put the torque wrench on the front end and the engine turned easy at 15-20 ft lbs.
Did manage to wear out my 35 year old wheel puller though stripped the threads out of the head of the puller. Think it was just age.

Your Merc sounds interesting, how did your daughter instigate the project?

Strange about the F8 the Lincoln books I have say it is the same block as offered for the F7 and F8 differences being different cam, solid lifters and slightly lower compression in the truck version. Did they offer a different engine in Canada for the trucks? The books round the displacement up to 337 but the actual is listed at 336.5 so are we talking about the same engine?

The overhaul manual covers the entire car not just the engine, thing is about 3" thick so scanning it in is going to take some time. Probably will get done as just before I get to a component group.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com