View Single Post
Old 08-06-03, 09:10
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Well Done Robert Campbell

Geoff -
The response that Bob Campbell received over there is typical of modern attitudes to ALL of the people that gave their lives or their health to preserve our rights to freedom ( or what remains after post-war government has finished with them!) throughout the 'Western' World.

With the exception of the Imperial War Museum I do not know of any government funded project in the UK to fullfill a similar fuction - all museums that refer to WW1 & 2 are privately owned and publicly funded by donation or by charitable grant from non-government organisations; yet we can give away £millions each year to a mock-european state to subsidise the very people that are destroying what the veterans fought for and to people that illegally enter our countries ( yes I know this one is happening in Canada as well) and bump the system for false welfare cheques.

We see falling attendances at Memorial parades in November, falling membership in uniformed youth organisations such as the Cadet Forces who have done a lot in the past to keep alive public interest by their involvement. In fact the Sea Cadet Unit that I used to be an instructor with had two Rememberance Day parades - we paraded for the Dieppe Raid veterans on their return to Wisborough Green in Sussex each August.

I appologise for the length of this ranting post but I do feel strongly that we do not do enough for our true Heroes and their families, not just from WW1 & 2 but from subsequent conflicts.

Perhaps we should have a Commonwealth Hall of Fame? The Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Indians, Ghurkas, South Africans etc all fought and died side-by-side with us through numerous conflicts .

If I had the money................

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)