View Single Post
Old 19-10-21, 08:11

Default putting it back together

I had Pacific Bending in Maple Ridge bend up the missing roof hardware and I welded them up as close to the originals and trial fitted them. They actually bolt to the frame in the roof and I cleaned up the threads with a thread chaser and two holes had to be expanded from the original 5/16th to 3/8.
Another decision I made was not to drill out the rivets on three sides to peel back the roof to replace the plywood sandwiched under the aluminum roof. the existing plywood was delaminated around the edges but not rotten so I carefully measured and intentionally made a tight fit of 3/4 maple plywood and pressed them into the voids between the roof trusses. They for the most part squeezed into place with the jack as pictured and stayed in place, retaining the curve even.
on the other side, I lack pictures for the start, i cut the 2 inch strips from 1/4 inch maple, stained them, and used much longer 1.25 inch #8's with collars to go through the original holes and into the 3/4 plywood underneath. Being careful to not pull the screws through the 1/4 inch strips on the roof. Just progressed along the roof from front to back. I used Polyurethane to seal the strips to the roof and seal the screw holes. So messy and I dare not grab my phone to take pictures as I recall.
Attached Thumbnails
64989145246__BFB755ED-1D4A-4C16-910F-9978D2A6CBD9.jpg   IMG_3240.jpg   IMG_3248.jpg   IMG_3250.jpg   IMG_3252.jpg