Thread: Paint...
View Single Post
Old 16-09-05, 18:42
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Perry, I painted the IHC halftrack in 33070 and was not completely satisfied w/ the colour. It may have been perhaps that I added a bit of hardener to my pot, anyhow it came out too shiny for my taste. The colour is OK but the shine must go. I will be repainting the HT.
Gillepie Coatings are a nice paint to apply and pretty durable. I have painted a couple things with it. The main prob now is that Willy's Acres is no longer carrying said product and now has some other US mfg paint.
I have also used automotive enamel from ICI. It will run you around $75 Gal but is very durable and sprays nicely.
The only problem w/ automotive paint is that the base is usually gloss and one must add at least 1Quart of flatting agent per gallon, sometimes more.
If you are coming to the auction in Acton on Saturday there is about 20 gallons of real mv paint there.
It would certainly be nice for all of us collectors to come up with some standard colours and a formula or source where we could all buy from.
I would certainly be tempted to use an epoxy or urethane coating in the future and I may persue that angle. At the very least, use epoxy primer under whatever paint you are applying. Just make sure to top coat epoxy primer within 24 hrs or else you'll be doing some sanding and its not easy. Most paints will adhere to the epoxy. All my resto stuff now gets it.
This whole issue of paint is a crazy mess.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers