View Single Post
Old 16-04-18, 01:07
carrier mech

I don't know what the micron rating is of those new filter kits.

The best place is just before the fuel pump. The reason I say this is because the particles can also unseat the little check valves in the fuel pump, causing the pump to go to idle and not pump fuel. But owing to the coarseness of the fuel pump check valves, it would have to be fairly substantial particles.

As I mentioned before, remove the top of the fuel pump (I think it is about 8 screws) and remove the fuel portion of the pump. Clean it out then re-install. Now you can install the inline filter just before the pump. The reaon you have to clean out the pump is otherwise the sediment in the pump will continue to find it's way up to the carb.

If that does happen, it will usually happen when you pull up to a stop sign. The engine will rumble a little, then drown itself. You have to get out of the truck, move the machine gun mount, lift the hood, then turn off the little tap that is on the frame just before the pump. Now crank the Jeep until it starts, then jump back out, open the tap, close the hood, move the MG arm back in place, and hit the road.

Or just install the fuel filter.