View Single Post
Old 14-09-20, 18:59
MLU Administrator

Hi David D.,

When I read your email I also saw your reply here. Best to vent our thoughts and findings centrally, the more people can think and work collaboratively the better.

I would not focus on the terrain you see in the pictures. While the museum grounds were established on part of the former battlefield, many of the large exhibits came from the surrounding area, Avalon and Cookie included. I believe much of the transportation was done by the British Army as they had an interest in establishing the museum. It was formally opened by a high ranking British General one year after the war ended.

After our pondering about the peppering of the RH hull side, the primary reason Avalon was put out of action may well be due to mines. In the report above we can read some areas were heavily mined and the mines caused considerable losses among men and machines.

Seeing Avalon in the metal many decades ago the damage to the flail rotor struck me. I don’t recall seeing the damage to the RH side. It’s RH track has been missing since the war, it may well have been broken by a mine.
The Churchill on display at the museum has its hull bottom ripped out by a mine and standing inside, I tried to visualize what happened to the crew. Gruesome thought. But that is the very reason these mangled artifacts of war were put in the museum - so we would never forget about the atrocities of war.

Summing up, we would need to get access to the war diaries of the two regiments mentioned above and see which Crabs were lost due to mines and/or enemy fire.

Let’s keep this flowing, something good must come out of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	43265B2F-C7A0-46EF-A35E-40AA3A23C062.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	116143 Click image for larger version

Name:	Avalon-museum2_redlined.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	116149