View Single Post
Old 30-04-09, 12:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

First rule is: Stay away from Babelfish; - Some of your translations are likely to get more than you think you may be bargaining for.

And the other GHH quote you forgot is: "It's going to be worth a lot of money one day". (I was told this when inspecting a GPW with a sapling growing through a rust hole in the rear floor!)

But seriously, I know of a chap who has got good dividends by returning to a previous owner with a fresh restoration job to show that it has "Gone to a good home" and providing the PO with a ride around the Block/Paddock. Show that you have done a quality restoration, and tried to incorporate some of the owner's history into the record of the vehicle. Word of your good reputation will spread and projects will mysteriously appear at your door. Showing other owners of a particular rarity photos or other records of what you do during a restoration shows that you intend to faithfully respect the history of the vehicle, and that the time and effort you put into it means that you will never turn a quick buck on his cherished possesion. Nothing irks a Seller more than thinking that they have sold something too cheaply and someone else has made a profit from their mistake.