View Single Post
Old 18-08-16, 04:12
carrier mech

Saturday night I repacked wheel bearings on the trailer and redid the front left of the truck, leaving the front right alone since the front left was in great shape. I think I repacked them last Easter. Turns out I have a little seepage on the right front so now my truck is pulling right on every stop. It is survivable though.

I left Saturday night and with a few catnaps, woke up near the Ontario border. I got a good days driving on Sunday and slept in the truck in Kapuskasing. Next morning back on the road and was at the town in Quebec by 4:30 PM Monday, however due to a poorly marked detour did not actually get to the house until 6:30. Cash and pleasantries exchanged, I got to work and replaced the two tires on the gun with the collapsed recoil mech. I then tried to come-a-long the barrel back up but to no avail. Had to call it quits around 10 as the mosquitoes were going to fly away with me.

The owners put me up for the night, and I was back outside by 05:45 Tuesday working on the wheels of the second gun. Headed to town around 0800 to buy 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood to minimize the damage to the lawn.

Big bonus was the firing platforms were buried in the ground underneath the guns. One was chained and locked to the gun, so I managed to break the chain with a hammer, and dug the ring loose.

About that time the cavalry showed up. Bob, Rob and Ross all came out to help, driving many hours from their respective locations to join the recovery. Bob also brought along a set of tires on rims to replace the cement filled tires that were on the other gun. Good news was that all the hubs were turning.

We got the platform dragged out and up the hill. Then laid out the winch cable and snatch block, and with Ross maintaining a safety chain, Rob and myself moving the sheets of plywood ever forward, and Bob at the winch switch, we soon had the first gun up it's hill and on the flat of the lawn.

Second gun was a little tough due to the collapsed recoil, but soon enough we had it on my trailer, and then positioned Bob's trailer to pick up the first gun.

Ross was busy on the broom cleaning up debris from the driveway, and in no time we had both guns along with their platforms chained and strapped ready to go. The Gods smiled on us and held off the torrential rain until we were ready to leave.

I followed Bob back to the barn so I could meet lucifer and see the sights. By 9:30 PM I was back on the road so I could miss the Ottawa traffic, and made it to the Irving station in Pembroke, where I knew I was going to have a great breakfast. I was the first one in the restaurant when they opened at 6AM, and after a hearty clubhouse sandwhich and potatoes, made my way to Long Lake, where I have finally booked my first hotel room of the trip.

Rob and Ross took lots of photos so hopefully they will not be shy and share some here for us. I think I took one photo only at the very beginning, and got so busy I never took another.

I may start another thread covering the recovery more completely, along with the guns present condition and their restorations. As can be expected, they are not without issues, but end of the day they are two Canadian 25pdrs that you rarely find on the market here in Canada.

I want to thank Bob, Rob and Ross for coming out. Without them I am pretty sure I would have still been hand winching through the storm and into this morning. Best case is I could have called a tow truck to come and winch....worst case is I could have had my chain hoist let go and the one gun would have headed for the lake.

I owe these guys a lot, and hopefully can make repayment over the years.

Last edited by rob love; 28-09-20 at 06:00.