View Single Post
Old 15-07-17, 00:43
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Another unknown I have come across. On the bottom side of the 2J3 box frame work is a set of holes along the one main channel. On the tailgate end there is a square plate welded against the channel and the floor frame. In line with this are two sets of 2 holes. I am wondering if this was a set of clips for mounting a spare antenna masts?
Maybe, but there would have to be a weird fastening system if it is. The pairs of holes (...are they threaded? Do they go trough the floor to the inside?) would have to be for brackets of some sort. Not web straps because who would climb under to do them up. Not spring clips because a fellow wouldn't have enough leverage to push the aerial masts up into them (again without crawling underneath). Also if it was some kind of clip the masts simply slide in, why not weld pieces in for this? Why more parts with bolts when they were perfectly happy to weld a tab on at the tailgate? Even so, with, or without a bottom on the rear tab the masts would simply bounce out if not held in securely some place. A sideways spring clip to keep tension on the masts is the only way it could work (the welded tab therefore keeping them from sliding out the back until someone hauled against the spring allowing the masts to move past the plate), but that's a complex solution and the makers of these wireless trucks tended to keep things as simple as possible.

The rear tab doesn't show up on the factory photos.

Also, I think there should be provision for two masts, one each of the 20' and 34' varieties.