View Single Post
Old 25-07-18, 13:28

Lang,

Thank you for kicking off this thread. The focus of my research has been on the vehicles used by the British Council of Volunteer War Work (CVWW) an organizing body of philanthropic organizations consisting of the YMCA, the YWCA, Catholic Women’s League, the Church Army, Toc H, The Church of Scotland and The Salvation Army. I've been specifically seeking photographs and information on the mobiles that served with the troops with the MEF, in Italy and the BEF (pre-Dunkirk & post Normandy). Along the way I have come across and continue to catalog and file information on equipment used for supporting civil populations (responding to The Blitz and displaced persons), supporting military bases in Great Britain and of course the work of other commonwealth members.

Just as allied forces had to learn a different war in 1939-1940 from the static warfare of WW1 so did the welfare units. With that in back of mind one can chart the trajectory of change to equipment used. Early in the war the Australian Salvos were literally buying wood bodied station wagons in Cairo and pressing them into service. By the end they were equipped with custom built Ford panel trucks on Marmon Harrington 4wd chassis! It appears a similar path occurred in England as well, beginning with ambulance and delivery trucks, the last pictures I have turned up appear to have Bedford OYC trucks.

There are a few tell tales I've employed to help identify place and time in photographs. First, specifically in my field of study, the Salvation Army shield. Typically US and Canadian TSA have a 4 pointed shield, but England will use a 6 pointed one with the top points on each side distinctly squared off. Vehicles operating in NWE after D-Day typically will display an "Allied Star". This has helped me to pick out welfare trucks operating in France, Holland, Belgium or Germany as opposed to a gun emplacement or air field in England. Finally the CVWW wore a uniform that bears a resemblance to British battle dress or to WLA uniforms. Salvationists working within England are typically seen in Salvation Army uniforms, those working in The Middle East, India or in NWE (I haven't seen any photos from Italy yet) have usually been in military type uniforms. There are of course exceptions all over to the above tells. But those have helped me.

I'll post some photos soon.

Matt