View Single Post
Old 18-10-19, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert View Post
Well done Malcolm !
That is not a job that I would have looked forward to. Now you get to install the world's heaviest clutch !

David
Thanks, guys. Luck's been with me lately - I've also been finding parts that I thought I would have to fabricate, including one exhaust pipe from the manifold to the hull penetration.
The one part I can't find, despite seeing photos of it in this very tank, is the voltage regulator for the main engine-mounted generator. (I've no immediate plans to install the auxiliary Morris engine powered generator, although I think we'll have to if we get the turret traverse working.)
We have a few deuce-and-a-half's in the boneyard so I hope I can find a suitable regulator there. They're 28 volt, approximately 40 amp rated, so close enough.

David, the clutch in a T-55 is a beast too, but I think you're right, this one has it beat. In fact, that's my new worry, can I get it in without having to remove the engine or gearbox? The manual doesn't help - in the clutch removal section it says, remove the engine. In the replacement section, it says replace the gearbox. A bit confusing.

I can install and remove the bare clutch shaft I used for alignment easily by sliding the engine forward a few inches (I have the starter removed at the front and the fan drive pulleys and tensioners removed at the back) but the complete 450 lb. clutch might not be so cooperative.

By the way, that exhaust pipe I mentioned above - where it passes through the hull, it's a loose fit sealed by 2 piston rings! I thought that was a clever idea. It allows for thermal expansion and hull flex and still maintains a decent seal. And the old piston rings I removed from a Staghound engine recently were a good fit!

Malcolm