Thread: Armour Dreams
View Single Post
Old 14-11-17, 04:12

Default A long shot but......

In the good old days of dune buggies when one installed a Corvair engine onto a VW trans-axle ( with an adapter plate) it was necessary to flip the ring gear assembly of the VW trans-axle to accommodate the different rotation of the Corvair engine...... I have never seen the inside of a T16 axle....but is it feasible????

From the overall appearance of the T16 axle it seems to have some sort of wet clutch assembly on each side....if so the concern from BCA may be very appropriate.......

If the T16 axle was simply rotated flat.... not upside down...... the input to the gear cluster(driveshaft) would need to be reversed...or you get 1 forward and 4 reverse gears......

But the rotation of the driveshaft to the front axle can be changed by feeding the transmission output into a regular CMP transfer case and using the front axle output of the T case which would effectively reverse the rotation...... and with a 2 speed T case it would add the low gear ratio......

You need a paper and pencil sketch to fully understand it....... but I believe it can be done!!!! will need to take my sketch to the barn and verify my assumption..... all based on a clockwise rotation of the engine when seen from the front!!!!!

And from having taken T cases apart with its massive straight cut gears, I believe it can be driven backwards....

Now in this instance, with the engine located off center to the right, I would feed the engine/transmission output into the front axle yoke of the Transfer case and use the input shaft (where the transmission is usually connected) of the transfer case to feed the front central gear cluster mounted T16 axle.

Not sure how much space is available to install the T case.

Comments please....

Cheers
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 14-11-17 at 04:33.