View Single Post
Old 03-04-12, 11:05
Tony Baker

Default Serial Numbers for Doors & nose

Gentlemen,

I have been intending to put a 6 digit serial number on the doors of my truck, and spoke with a sign writing place this afternoon, regarding creation of a stencil 'mask' I can apply, through which to spray the numbers onto the doors & snoz! The mask would then be removed entirely, leaving only the number.

The number I want to use has absolutely nothing to do with being correct for the vehicle (or any other). It is actually my Fathers Military service number. I am even considering adding the "Q" in front of the number, making it match his number exactly.

When I have been looking for placing, size and font of others vehicles, I have noticed some unusual things, as follows.

The vast majority of CMPs I have seen with door numbers are Canadian. Is this a coincidence? I have seen many varieties of font used, and my preference is for a stencil type, similar to that which was used on crates etc., but I have seen some which are solid numbers in a range of styles. I don't know which would be more accurate for the period?

And finally, I have seen trucks with the same numbers on one or both sides of the nose panel. Even ones with the numbers applied vertically instead of across. Is there a 'correct' method?

I will also be applying a division TAC sign on passenger side of nose, once I find out exactly which division the 29/46 Inf Btn was attached to while in New Guinea. It was a Victorian Btn I believe.

Can any of you good folks offer any insight into these queries????