View Single Post
Old 08-03-23, 17:46
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Don't know how effective a 19 set would be in the role of HF jamming ? Page 338 of THE STORY OF 7 SIGNAL REGIMENT
Not very.

Having mis-read the links and gone looking in the U.S. Signal Corps history, page 338 was close to the RCM (Radio CounterMeasures) section, which made me think about the "SPF" version of the WS19 used for Operation Fortitude (etc.), but there was nothing about that in the document. (No, I still have no idea what SPF stood for, various people have suggested "Selectable/Switchable Power & Frequency" or "Special Purpose Fortitude", but nothing concrete has been found - and the "Radio Deception" pamphlet in the National Archive is still classified.)

Then I read the correct document (7 Signal Regiment) and things got a little clearer: the exercise was conducted in the 1950s, when most comms had moved to VHF, and the only HF sets were the WS62, WS19 and WS173 - the last being used as a jammer. As such, the WS62 with 0.5W output could easily be jammed by a WS19 (with 10 times that), and the WS173 would flatten everything with around 250 - 350W.

Best regards,
Chris.