View Single Post
Old 11-04-20, 00:48
Junior Password Gnome

I think Geoff Truscott provided the drawing.

The parts list (from variometer to aerial base, in order) is:

Aerial Feeder No.4 - goes on rear of variometer and terminates in conduit.

Packing piece - rectangular steel plate, fits over conduit, has locating peg to lock into a hole in the turret roof and a corresponding hole to take the peg on the rear of the variometer. (This is because the turret is drilled for the much larger American aerial feed arrangement - the locating peg has to be moved outwards to avoid the hole.)

Packing washer - large, thin, square spring washer. fits over conduit and serves to block the large hole in the turret roof and support the centering washer.

Centering washer - circular and about 1/8-in thick. Fits over the conduit and centers the aerial feeder No.4 in the much larger hole through the roof.

Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1 - rubber pad with steel insert. Locating peg on base engages with blind hole drilled in top of turret roof to prevent it unscrewing with vibration. Mounting fits over conduit of aerial feeder No.4 and is secured in place by the tab washer and fine threaded nut.

Aerial pigtail - length of wire with ring terminal (Ross Courtney type) on one end and a hex-headed screw soldered to the other. May be plastic or ceramic bead insulated. Screw it into the underside of aerial base No.8 (or 10) before attaching it to the centre connection of the aerial feeder and fitting the base to the mounting.

Aerial Base - can be No.8 (concave rubber profile), No.10 Mk.I (convex profile meets baseplate square-on, wing-nut clamp for aerial rods is a vast improvement over the spring type) or No.10 Mk.II (as Mk.I but the joint to the baseplate is concave for better adhesion and it has clamp screw for aerial rod one side and terminal nut to allow wire aerial use on the other). Bolts to aerial base mounting with six 1/4-in BSF hex bolts (may be different in Canadian manufacture, of course).

Best regards,
Chris.