View Single Post
Old 16-05-17, 20:00
Tony Baker

Thanks guys. I'm really surprised there aren't any welded types I know of around my immediate area, that I'm aware of. I've only found 3 useful images on web, but that's no substitute for personal viewing. If I can locate ONE I can get to, I can get a library of images. Might be all I need. I can eliminate Bandiana Museum as a source. They don't have one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	58236bc8-32a3-48d4-afca-49419bf4545c_l.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	90727 Name:  kp4.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  86.0 KB
The two photos above are the best I could find, so far. I still hope to find more, but they have eluded me for now. Am in the process of looking through images that the AWM have publically available, and have found the 3rd image that makes the last of what I've found to date, but it is not a good quality photo. I believe Chubb built some. Is there any other manufacturer/s who did also? It might help my search to know the builders.

Would be good to see the AWM example, but that's a long way from me, at this point in time. Then again, so is Bathurst, and I found myself there not long ago. Perhaps a trip to Canberra might make for an interesting holiday. It has been a while, and the AWM is one of my favorite places on the planet. Always a humbling experience, and recharges ones sense of respect for our armed services.

I'm committed to doing the welded style build. Apart from anything else, the trails have much less of the difficult to replicate details of the riveted version. Besides, I think they look kind of cool!