View Single Post
Old 19-04-10, 18:47
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
hi Geoff.

that is what I was worried about, if the pistons are stuck, the valves may be also, and if I start the engine it may backfire allot and possibly create more damage.

I think I can do all the labour of tearing down assembling the engine, and leave the machining to the engine guys.

I guess it would be good to get hardened valve seats in the engine at that point.

I am sure allot of guys here have redone their engines, does anyone have a idea of what it can cost me?

and lastly, anyone have an idea of how I should plan out my attack to re doing this vehicle?
would the engine be last? drivetrain first? then body?
If you're going to strip the engine yourself, do yourself a favour... photograph everything before you take it off, label it and stow it separately (small parts grouped in labeled plastic bags eg). That way you know how it goes together again and won't be sitting there looking at a freshly-assembled engine and wondering "where did this part sitting beside me go...?".

Ref the rest: if you want to do it right, strip it down to the bare frame, store the body bits (small parts labeled and stowed as per the above instruction) then start there. Blast, prime and paint the frame and go from there. Next to go on would be the axles - you may not have to strip them, but you'll want to change the oil for sure - then do the seals and brakes and mount wheels and tyres... and so on, and so on... while you're doing this you can have the engine done, then mount it before your body goes back on.

BTW, you may not have to pull the transmission/transfer cases apart, but I highly recommend you pull the tops off to check for moisture damage or even water inside - don't knock it, I've seen many like that.

Ref the body... you can restore it as an original CJ2A, or you can fake up an MB if you really wanted to... it's up to you. You'd need at the very least a grill, a windshield assembly and to remove the tailgate and replace with a welded-in flat panel reinforced to take a spare tyre carrier and jerry can holder.

The chances are, though, you could probably make a lot of money on a fully restored CJ2A from the jeep aficionados then turn around and buy a real MB. As I said, it's up to you. Regardless, jeep people here on MLU will help you!

Lastly, I recommend you look up the several HAMMOND BARN threads we have in the Restoration Forum to learn the proper way of rebuilding an old vehicle... these gentlemen are Masters!

Geoff