View Single Post
Old 27-04-10, 03:37
Michael P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Mike.
What I am seeing is a badly carboned up engine..No idea what the bottom end is like but the valves are not all burned up and split..a good sign..and once you pull the engine and can see what is going on down below you will have a better idea..
That happens when they spend a lot of time idling and slow..low RPM operation..
Rich on the fuel under these conditions..hence the carbon..
IF all the other tune up points ..timing..carb...valve..etc.adjustments are in spec..
Anyway press on..Keep the pix coming..
You are doing fine.
One more thing..DON'T let your "Car Buddies"..talk you into pounding those pistons down "JUst to see if..."...what ever..
Pull the engine.take off the pan..disconnect the connecting rods ..then you can use a wooden block and tap them to break them loose...but don't attempt until disconnecting the connecting rods and rotating the crank to clear the rods..mark your end caps to each connecting rod and the way they are facing before you pull them apart and throw them in a box..
What I used to do was as I was disassembling... I had a big piece of heavy cardboard and I would put slits in the card board and I would position the components on the card board exactly in the direction..number..combination..of all the components as I took them off ..that way I didn't mix up my end caps..rods..valves..pushrods ,main bearing caps etc..and I knew what went where when ever I got the rest of the short block finished...things look a lot better when you know where every thing goes and which way it came out..

taking the engine out of the jeep and disassembling the bottom end is a whole new ball game for me :S.

- what would I be looking for on the bottom end? it does still have oil when I check the dip stick.

- why do I need to disconnect the rods before hitting the pistons with the wood ontop?

the carb is stuck, it seems untouched. my neighbor has access to a ultrasonic cleaner, but should I just see if I can free it myself befor disassembling and rebuilding? by spraying wd40 all over and inside.

the ignition has new points and condenser or they look bran new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
As Alex said, that engine doesn't look too bad - the valves look great, even on no. 4 cylinder. It's just been sitting outside way too long. Keep soaking all four cylinders but don't force it free... eventually it will loosen up then you can pull it and strip for a decent inspection. If the bottom end is good, then you might get away with a simple honing or if not, a 1st oversize bore job.

I wouldn't recommend that 350 for your vehicle. You might get away with a small V-6, but either one would detract from its restored value. Work with what you have - it's all you really need.
what should I soak the cylinders with?
diesel? (should I clean out the carbon somehow)

I agree I was hesitant about the 350 and after talking to other owners it seems the 350 would grenade the transmission. I never did like the idea of using another engine in this jeep, I love the original bits