View Single Post
Old 11-05-07, 15:49

Default CDLV 241, 242 and The505 and others

The information provided by Wim quoting "the standerdised wartime jeep 1941-45" is quite wrong I believe as it does not match what I have observed in Canadian contract jeeps in the last 30 years of research. The WD numbers are wrong, as are the dates of production. CDLV 505 was produced in at least three distinct production batches so some are early stamped grille(no BODL, WILLYS script) and some have later features (BODL, no script, trailer sockets, Jerrycan carrier).

The CDLV 241, 242 and 505 jeeps did not have USA registration numbers assigned to the best of my knowledge. They were custom made by Willys for Canada. Some were crated at the Willys factory for shipment overseas (ref. CDLV 241/242 contract). All of these jeeps had the 4 lifting rings.

Canada did indeed buy other "off the shelf" jeeps. I used to own a Ford GPW made in April 1943 that had been used at the Defence Research Board at Suffield, Alberta post-WWII and had a DND number. Last year I was given another 1943 Ford, likely ex-Canadian. I have encountered other ex-Canadian GPWs in Canada and most of these seem to be about April 1943 production. Overseas at the end of hostilities in Europe, Canada had quite a mix of Willys and Ford jeeps.

COLIN

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC