View Single Post
Old 29-03-08, 02:20
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Shed finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Here is my 1940 Chev. I found it in a hayshed in Western Victoria. Enquiries through the Australian War Memorial in Canberra prove that it was General Stanley Savige's Staff car throughout the Middle East, 1940/41. Gen.Savige was the OC of the 17th Brigade, 6th Australian Division. The car arrives back in OZ in April 1942 on the S.S.Somerville and then was used on the North/South road between Alice Springs and Darwin. It was sold to a Mr.Williams of Ararat Vic in 1945, who owned it until 1971 and then sold it to John Woodburn of Dunkeld. I found it in 1993 and purchased it for the grand sum of $2.00. (yes, the decimal point is in the right place). It is now painted in the Syrian Campaign colours 1941 when the 17th Brigade were fighting the Vichy French.

Rick

That Chev of yours would have to be the ultimate shed find .. it rivals or eclipses the 42 Ford sedan shed find of Bert Barker . Amazing that you fathomed out its history .

Back in the early 1980's , a VMVC member up Ballarat way , found a complete and original 1941 15cwt Morris Commercial CS8 in a shed , the original canvas was still sitting in the back of it . It was made driveable and it appeared at the 1985 Ballarat airshow we attended as a club event . It wasn't restored , just cleaned up slightly .The Ballarat member decided to sell it , it was advertised it in the VMVC newsletter for a very good price ( around 1986 ?) Why didn't I buy it .... It's now up at the Moama museum.

It was one of those once in a lifetime chances .Too slow or hesitate and it's gone .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad