View Single Post
Old 28-09-14, 18:49
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default The MV Hobby, De-Mob

Quite recently I got into an interesting conversation with a long time MV collector and restorer regarding the future of the MV hobby.
He brought up an interesting point, the fact that none of us are getting any younger, and that in itself poses questions as to the feasibility and future of our Hobby.
I would be interested in a Poll, to figure out the average age of MV enthusiasts;
I would hazard a guess to say the median age is probably near 60 for most guys. I myself represent one of a few in the "younger crowd" and I am 43. Scary isn't it? I do not see too many guys younger than myself following in the hobby.
This also brings to question the value of our vehicles and collections of junk;
On one hand, these vehicles are getting older and scarcer to find as projects. The tendency is to think "valuable" as time marches on...
On the other hand, there will come a time when the market will see a flood of vehicles coming out of Estates with less and less buyers to be found.
This would lead one to believe that there will be a peak in value followed by a rapid decline in value. Museums have already got what they want and with less and less to spend and budgets trimmed yearly, I do not see this as the answer.
Don't believe me regarding these scenarios? The same has happened traditionally with the vintage car market. While today, 1960's muscle is in its heyday, give it 20 years. Todays kids don't want grandpas hand-me-downs.
There was a time in recent history when Model T Fords and 1920s and 30s cars were quite rare and collectable. Check out Old Autos anytime to get a reality check... Most of these cars today are now a steal, the prices so low a fellow would be nuts to even try to restore one- it's cheaper to purchase one already done for pennies on the dollar.
I can forsee the decline of collecting in the next 10 to 20 years, happy for me that I shall be one of the few still around (hopefully) to enjoy many more years of economical times.
Thoughts?

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 28-09-14 at 22:36.